Follow

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Encore!

Hello everyone! Can you believe I have been in Togo for over a month now? I know, me neither. It is really amazing how fast time has gone! First let me apologies for the lack of information. It has been difficult, as I am sure you can imagine, to get to a computer let alone internet in a third world country. But I guess its all part of the experience!

So my first month of Peace Corps Togo has been phenomenal. I surprise myself everyday with my ability to communicate in a new language, try new foods, bike through the mud and of course learn about the work that I will be doing the next two years. One of the highlights has been hiking up Mount Agou. The view west is absolutely gorgeous. I wouldn’t be surprised if I saw Ghana because our training site is really close to the boarder and we were really high. I also have really enjoyed my new form of transportation, my bike. The Togolese children love it and it is so fun to ride by and ring my bell for them. And I can’t complain about the added bonus of a slight breeze on my way to and from school.

A lot has happened the last few weeks. I got my post assignment and I am thrilled. I will be living in a small village called Wassarabo. It is in the Central region and I am only 17 km from the regional capital, which means I am close to the bank, market and maybe the occasional cold drink. It is a new post so I will be the first Girls Ed PCV there. I am really excited to begin working with the villagers and seeing what this Peace Corps thing is all about!

After we all got our post assignments, we got to go on a field trip. It was perfect timing because we got to pass through a lot of the regions and see where we will be living. The trip was only 3 days and the majority of that time was spent in the car but I had a great time. It one thing to sit in a classroom and learn about what we will be doing but it was great to get out there and see the thing PCV’s do and see more of Togo. We got to observe a Life Skills class that a current volunteer was teaching. The students are resilient and so interested in us. It’s flattering and overwhelming at the same time. We also got to visit a NGO for people living with HIV/AIDS. It was so powerful because we were greeted by song and dance and then some of the members shared their life stories. It was moving and I am so thankful to have met them all. The trip was great, not only because of the things we got to do but it was a needed break and I can’t say I didn’t enjoy a real shower!

So now it’s back to work studying French and preparing for work as a PCV. We get to visit our sites in a week. It will be the first time I will be alone and away from English. Yikes. I am really excited to see my village and to meet all my new friends. I will try to write again after my week at site and let you all know how things went.

I hope you all know that I miss you and think about you a lot. I am gradually adapting to this new life in Togo and knowing I have all of your support helps me through. Please keep in touch. I’ll do my best to do the same. And if I haven’t mentioned it before, I love mail! Till next time!
Peace!